Mixed Berry & Apple Pie
Total Time: 45 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
For the Pie Crust (optional)
2 ½ cups flour
Pinch of salt
2 sticks of butter, cold
¼ cup cold water
For the Filling
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ tablespoon cinnamon
½ tablespoon nutmeg
¼ cups sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
5 medium-sized golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 package (12 oz) frozen mixed berries, thawed
1 egg, beaten
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon sugar
*Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
For the Pie Crust – Makes 2 (Optional)
1. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour and salt. Add butter and blend until it resembles a coarse mixture.
2. With the machine running, slowly add water and process until dough forms. Add more water if dough seems too dry.
3. Divide the dough into two equal size balls and flatten into disks.
4. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour before rolling out.
5. On a floured surface, roll out only one of the pie crusts; refrigerate the other pie dough for another use, or freeze it.
For the Filling
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt. Add the apples and toss to coat.
3. Melt the butter in a large iron skillet over medium heat. Mix in the berries and let them cook down for 4 minutes. Stir in the apples and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a minute or two.
4. Roll out the pie crust and lay over the fruit filling, tucking the sides in. Brush the top of crust with egg wash.
5. Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle the top of crust with the mixture.
6. Place the iron skillet in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and fruit is bubbling.
My husband is not a huge dessert person, but when I do make him something sweet, he usually prefers pie. So I'm always looking for new pie recipes, especially ones that use healthy substitutes. What is your or your family's favorite kind of pie?