This side dish is perfect for a holiday party. My hubby just made these for our Easter family lunch. Yum! Not only does it look beautiful; it tastes beautiful as well. And it's healthy too! Only 157 calories per serving! Let me know what you think!
Roasted Spring Vegetable with Arugula Pesto
Total Time: 40 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 25 min
Yield: 8 servings
4 cup(s) baby or new potatoes, 1 to 2 inches in diameter, halved or quartered depending on size
5 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
4 cup(s) peeled baby carrots
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into thirds
½ teaspoon(s) salt
1 clove garlic, peeled
5 cup(s) baby arugula
½ cup finely shredded Asiago cheese
¼ cup toasted pine nuts*
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
1. To prepare the vegetables: Position rack in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
2. Toss the potatoes with 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large bowl and spread on a large baking sheet. Roast in the lower third of the oven for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toss the carrots with 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the bowl and spread on another large baking sheet. After the potatoes have roasted for 5 minutes, place the carrots in the upper third of the oven and roast potatoes and carrots for 15 minutes.
4. Continue roasting until all the vegetables are tender and starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.
5. To prepare the pesto: Drop the garlic through the feed tube of food processor with the motor running; process until minced. Stop the machine and add the arugula, cheese, pine nuts, 1/4 cup oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pulse and then process, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is a smooth paste.
6. Toss the roasted vegetables with 1/3 cup pesto and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the large bowl (reserve the remaining pesto for another use: refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze). Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with arugula, if desired.
*Tip: To toast the pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Don't forget to enter to win the my memories giveaway as well as joining the Show Your Style link party! Happy Fool's Day everyboday! Let me know if there were any really good pranks today!